The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I played all through it, but I find works based around the Tarot deck dull and unimaginative.
-
Brainiac
- Royal Vizier Status
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 am
- Location: Somewhere in Ohio...
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Oh? Why's that?DrJones wrote:I played all through it, but I find works based around the Tarot deck dull and unimaginative.
And LP, you know you can always hit me up for hints if you need them.
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I'll probably take you up on that too. I'll download it tomorrow and check it out!
- Angelus3K
- Vampiric Moderator
- Posts: 3988
- Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:54 am
- Location: Newcastle, UK
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Street Fighter IV is amazing!!!!
-
Brainiac
- Royal Vizier Status
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 am
- Location: Somewhere in Ohio...
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I was wondering how long it would be until someone made a post like that.
By the way, is this the only thread in the forums that has a 6-digit number of views?
By the way, is this the only thread in the forums that has a 6-digit number of views?
-
greensenshi
- Knight Status
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:22 am
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I would say so, though random rants is catching up with almost 90,000 views. This topic has way more posts though.
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
It doesn't surprise me. It's mostly gamers who remember and love old Adventure games enough to join a forum dedicated to them. And studies show that one of the Gamers favorite subjects is in fact video games.
If someone started a Comic book or Pocket Novel thread it would probably never get used, but I think it's safe to say that members have opinions or questions about video games, or at least are curious enough to peek in and see what our opinions or questions are.
If someone started a Comic book or Pocket Novel thread it would probably never get used, but I think it's safe to say that members have opinions or questions about video games, or at least are curious enough to peek in and see what our opinions or questions are.
-
greensenshi
- Knight Status
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:22 am
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I am in awe of your logical skillz. You are leet. 
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Well you don't get to be the Queen of the Obvious if you don't pick up on these thing :P
-
seraphimdreamer777
- Knight Status
- Posts: 424
- Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:44 am
- Location: jacksonville florida
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I just finished Suikoden 1 and started on 2 then I'm doing 3 and haven't even touched my PS3. But then again I need more shelf space in my room for my PS3 being I've got almost every system you can think of.I'm also playing Suikoden on my PS One of which I only keep for the screen (It is in my living room) and part 3 will be played on my PS2 I keep cause it's top loading. I only tolerate front loaders if I have to. 
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I love Suikoden. My mom picked it up (much like Secret of Mana back in the day) because it was cheap but had no idea what it was. I made two of my friends cry with it and spent hours upon hours trying to find every character. Good times. I should play that again soon...
Also, I'd kill a large monkey to get my hands on the second one. I hear it's got a lot of characters from the first game. Many of whom I thought I'd never see again.
Also, I'd kill a large monkey to get my hands on the second one. I hear it's got a lot of characters from the first game. Many of whom I thought I'd never see again.
-
Brainiac
- Royal Vizier Status
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 am
- Location: Somewhere in Ohio...
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I have just one thing to say about Suikoden II.
Luca Blight.
That is all.
Luca Blight.
That is all.
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I don't recognize the name, I take it (s)he isn't a recurring character from the first game?
-
Brainiac
- Royal Vizier Status
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 am
- Location: Somewhere in Ohio...
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
He is not. He is the primary antagonist, and he is legendary. TVTropes even refers to him as an example of The Evil Prince with the addendum "though Bat Shit Insane Prince would be more appropriate."
-
seraphimdreamer777
- Knight Status
- Posts: 424
- Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:44 am
- Location: jacksonville florida
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Yea he is crazier than Sephiroth and Kefka of Final Fantasy fame combined and thats bad can't wait to defeat him once and for all.
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Aw now I'll have to find it and give it a try. I loves me some crazy characters. They're just so much fun!
Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to try Fool's errand yet (I did download it though). I've been called back into work and all we have there for gaming is a 64 to play on lunch break and after work I've been neglecting my gaming for an art project.
I know, I'm loosing nerd-cred aren't I? :P
Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to try Fool's errand yet (I did download it though). I've been called back into work and all we have there for gaming is a 64 to play on lunch break and after work I've been neglecting my gaming for an art project.
I know, I'm loosing nerd-cred aren't I? :P
-
Brainiac
- Royal Vizier Status
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 am
- Location: Somewhere in Ohio...
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I, the all-mighty Lord of the Geeks, do hereby give you a pass.
But the Nerd Monarch says you suck.
But the Nerd Monarch says you suck.
-
MusicallyInspired
- The Master of All Things Musical
- Posts: 4031
- Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:57 pm
- Location: Manitoba, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
So I got TimeShift for the PC a few days ago. Just beat it tonight. My thoughts? An odd combination of just another shallow Doom shoot-em-up clone that's also strangely a Half-Life wannabe in terms of story/look/gameplay/locales with time shifting abilities, the latter being the game's only redeeming quality. It tries to tell a story by throwing 3-second flashback videos in between some levels which is pretty stupid. The ending is also pretty abrupt, disappointing, and confusing. I've heard this game was over half a decade in development. You think in that time they could come up with a decent way to tell the story while preserving gameplay. I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled with such high caliber FPS's as Half-Life or too old fashioned to see that stories aren't really required in games anymore, but even Doom 3 was more captivating than this game.
The time shifting, as fun as it was, was never really utilized very well. There were a few instances (even fewer creative ones) when the game requires you to use your time shifting abilities to solve puzzles, get to an ungettable area, or save yourself but generally they're just there for you to use whenever you want for whatever you want. I also like how the game doesn't have any health powerups. Much like Halo you get shot a lot and lose health but if you can get away and hide for a bit your "shields" are replenished. Not surprising as this is apparently an XBOX game as well. I haven't tried multiplayer so I can't comment on that though I haven't found any available servers anyway so it doesn't look like I'll be deathmatching anybody with it anytime soon.
The time shifting was really fun to abuse, though.
The time shifting, as fun as it was, was never really utilized very well. There were a few instances (even fewer creative ones) when the game requires you to use your time shifting abilities to solve puzzles, get to an ungettable area, or save yourself but generally they're just there for you to use whenever you want for whatever you want. I also like how the game doesn't have any health powerups. Much like Halo you get shot a lot and lose health but if you can get away and hide for a bit your "shields" are replenished. Not surprising as this is apparently an XBOX game as well. I haven't tried multiplayer so I can't comment on that though I haven't found any available servers anyway so it doesn't look like I'll be deathmatching anybody with it anytime soon.
The time shifting was really fun to abuse, though.
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Brainiac wrote:I, the all-mighty Lord of the Geeks, do hereby give you a pass.
But the Nerd Monarch says you suck.
The Nerd Monarch? I hate that guy! He's always looking down on me with his 'math skills' and his 'knowledge of basic science'.
Gimme geeks any day! At least then I can impress them with my comic book collection and high scores!
I've never heard of TimeShift, but it doesn't sound appealing. I think I'll stick to 'Splitting' time over 'Shifting'.
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Holy crap, I just went on Ebay to try and find a copy of the sequel to one of the first PSX games I'd ever gotten (Suikoden) and it's selling in the triple digits.
That's ridiculous! I just wanted a playable copy, not one encased in solid gold!
It's things like this that make me dislike game collectors, It makes things difficult for game players.
That's ridiculous! I just wanted a playable copy, not one encased in solid gold!
It's things like this that make me dislike game collectors, It makes things difficult for game players.
-
Brainiac
- Royal Vizier Status
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 am
- Location: Somewhere in Ohio...
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Suikoden II was an extremely limited printing. Thus, supply and demand has kicked in to a nasty degree.
If you think that's bad, you should have seen the prices for the original Valkyrie Profile before the PSP remake came out.
If you think that's bad, you should have seen the prices for the original Valkyrie Profile before the PSP remake came out.
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I'm curious but I know the answer will probably disgust me lol.
I do really like that the Wii lets you download classic games for realistic prices, now if only my Playstation had that feature.
I just hope my mom never finds out what some of my games are now worth. She'd kill me for lending them out and letting them get scratched or lost.
I do really like that the Wii lets you download classic games for realistic prices, now if only my Playstation had that feature.
I just hope my mom never finds out what some of my games are now worth. She'd kill me for lending them out and letting them get scratched or lost.
-
seraphimdreamer777
- Knight Status
- Posts: 424
- Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:44 am
- Location: jacksonville florida
- Contact:
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
Well it is true that most collectors never play the games. But not all collectors are bad I'm somewhat of a collector but I love playing my games. But I admit some are stingy. I had to pay a lot to get my Suikoden 2 but I managed to get it.but my collection is mostly PS One games or as you called it PSX. Tomato Tomado
but I hope someday you get to experience Suikoden 2 someday. It is amazing I need to finish it and many other games. Man I wish I had more time to play my games than 70-100 something years. Oh and by the way PS3 has the ability to get old games it just lacks though Suikoden 1 was released and also PSP is supposed to have 1 and 2 re released sometime I forget when I heard it.
-
Lady Pyro
- Defense Minister Status
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!
I just never saw the point of dishing out serious amounts of cash for a game just to say you have it. I have 'friend' who does that with systems. He's never once plugged in his Atari but didn't he pay stupid amount of of money for it, new cords and a bunch of games.
He keeps trying to get my Intellevision too, but we still play that. It sickens me that it would just sit on someone's shelf and never get used when someone could be playing it.
I actually prefer 'status' gamers to collectors.
Sure it's not much better in terms of obsession or compulsion but at least the games get played (even if the person has made a chore out of it just to say they played it or taken a game they liked and played it until they've found every tiny secret and achievement and in the end never touch it again out of loathing).
But I don't dislike the people, just the habits. And that's just because I'm easily annoyed by strange things. Although it doesn't seem to bother me that my friend keeps getting me to beat her games for her, so that she can tell her boyfriend she did it and impress him.
But I digress, I'm probably just weird.
He keeps trying to get my Intellevision too, but we still play that. It sickens me that it would just sit on someone's shelf and never get used when someone could be playing it.
I actually prefer 'status' gamers to collectors.
Sure it's not much better in terms of obsession or compulsion but at least the games get played (even if the person has made a chore out of it just to say they played it or taken a game they liked and played it until they've found every tiny secret and achievement and in the end never touch it again out of loathing).
But I don't dislike the people, just the habits. And that's just because I'm easily annoyed by strange things. Although it doesn't seem to bother me that my friend keeps getting me to beat her games for her, so that she can tell her boyfriend she did it and impress him.
But I digress, I'm probably just weird.